Fresh beets are one of the healthiest vegetables we can have in our diet. They provide a great color, and a rich flavor. But it can be intimidating to prepare them if you don’t have any direction to go toward. We have found a delicious salad recipe you can enjoy with the beets you receive in your Figbo box.
4 medium size beets
Three-forth c fresh orange juice
Half teaspoon sugar
1 TBSP minced shallots
2 TBSP white wine vinegar
Three-forth tsp kosher salt (to be divided)
Half teaspoon fresh black pepper
One-fourth c extra-virgin olive oil
4 c Boston lettuce, torn
2 c watercress lettuce, trimmed
2 c radicchio, torn
1/2 c goat cheese, crumbled
1. Set oven at 400° to preheat.
2. Line a jelly-roll pan with foil and coat with cooking spray.
3. Place the beets on prepared pan and then lightly spray cooking spray over them.
4. Place in oven and bake for one hour or until tender with a fork.
5. Let the beets cool slightly and then cut off the roots and stems; & rub the skin off.
6. Cut beets into half-inch wedges.
7. Bring orange juice and sugar to a boil and let cook for 10 minutes. This should reduce
the mixture to 2 tablespoons. Pour into a medium-sized bowl and allow to cool.
8. Add the shallots, vinegar, half teaspoon salt, and one-fourth teaspoon pepper.
9. Stir with a whisk as you add the oil gradually.
10. Combine the lettuce, radicchio, and watercress. Sprinkle one-fourth teaspoon of salt and
one-fourth of the pepper over the lettuce mixture and gently toss.
Time To Serve It
Place 1 cup of the lettuce mixture on 8 plates and divide beets among them. Drizzle
approximately one tablespoon of dressing over each then sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese over